Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Aug 2 09:49:31 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:52:22AM -0500, Dale W. Carder wrote:
> At least at this point in time, one single L2 domain is
> essentially required for automagic device discovery stuff
> like mDNS to work among consumer devices.

As far as I understood, smart metering networks e.g. need a routing
device as the underlying technology can't be bridged to Ethernet.
Also, they are thinking about multihomed home networks which e.g. helps
migrating between providers, or for redundancy.

No kidding, but they (IETF) are actually sporting the idea of running
OSPF in residential LANs to accomodate such scenarios in a plug-and-play
manner. :-)

Best regards,
Daniel