Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

"Roger Jørgensen" roger at jorgensen.no
Thu Aug 2 08:28:48 CEST 2012

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 10:12:55PM +0100, Mark Blackman wrote:
>> More than 256 subnets in the home? Who would want to manage all of that?
>>
>> I can't see more than about 16 subnets at a single residential
>> address with a single family
>
> "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
>  - Thomas Watson, Chairman, IBM, 1943
>
> "There is no reason why anyone would want a computer in their home."
>  - Ken Olsen, Founder, DEC, 1977
>
> "640K should keep everyone happy for the next 10 years"
>  - Bill Gates, Founder, Microsoft, 1981
>
> "4 bits for home subnetting should be more than enough"
>  - any takers?

People keep forgetting those famous "last" words, but more important, we
really need to stop thinking in the old terms about our homenetwork. We're
not supposed to manage 256 subnets, they are part of our homenetwork that
should just work.
Plenty of working group and other discussion going on about that subject,
homenet at ietf is one. Go there and start looking into all of the different
issues they're addressing, there are some of them...

--
Roger Jorgensen      | - ROJO9-RIPE  - RJ1866P-NORID