Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Aug 2 00:22:05 CEST 2012

At 12:17 PM 8/1/2012, Tim Densmore wrote:
>Is the current (again, 2012 - most threads and books that I have
>read are al least a few years old) consensus that a /48
>per-residential-user really justified?  Opinions or pointers to
>current Fine Manuals to read would be most appreciated.

RFC 6177 clarifies the /48 recommendation.  The Fine Manuals won't
really explain why it has been argued that residential users should
be given a /56.

Justification is appropriate if you are dealing with a scare
resource.  There is a management overhead in dealing with that.  It
is easier to hand out ample address space so that people can do what
they want without having to come back to you for additional address
space.  A /48 keeps it simple.

Regards,
-sm