Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

Mark Blackman mark at exonetric.com
Wed Aug 1 23:12:55 CEST 2012

On 1 Aug 2012, at 22:03, Tim Densmore <tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com> wrote:

> - It's "easy" to forsee that someday in the future people will need more than 256 subnets in the home, and since nibble boundaries are considered a must, then /48 is the only option.

More than 256 subnets in the home? Who would want to manage all of that?

I can't see more than about 16 subnets at a single residential
address with a single family and would suggest a /60 by default
for "bog standard"  residential customers, with a /56 possible
if they ask nicely. Every subnet represents a management burden
for the end user, if a genuinely separate subnet is required.

- Mark