Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Wed Aug 1 23:03:03 CEST 2012

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link!  I had actually read through it recently and found
it quite useful.  I find the back and forth between /64 vs /12[67] on
P2P links interesting.

I've read rfc 3177, and though some of it was above my head, I couldn't
really find anything in it that really defined *why* a /48 was preferred
(GSE, 6to4, and Site Local require /48, so /48 is best was what I took
away).  As far as I can tell, the layman arguments in favor go like this:

- /48 is likely to be equal to /24 (v4) bgp-wise, and anything longer is
likely to be filtered.

- /48 for *everyone* allows for uniform customer allocation size.

- It's "easy" to forsee that someday in the future people will need more
than 256 subnets in the home, and since nibble boundaries are considered
a must, then /48 is the only option.

Is that about right?

I think I'd have a hard time pitching extra cash outlay for a /28.

Thanks again!

TD