How to enable " ipv6 unicast-routing" to permit traceroute from 6PE to ipv6-cloud

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Sep 7 10:39:04 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 04:22:21 PM Ignatios
Souvatzis wrote:

> Hey - last month (at least), Greek TV channels aired
> commercials consisting of an 25 year old commercial
> trying to raise awareness about keeping the sea clean -
> with a trailer that says: "25 years later, the situation
> is still the same.  Please keep the seas clean."
>
> So 7.5 years isn't that bad... ;-)

Well, the question the vendors will ask you is simple. What
problem do you want to solve?

	a) Do you just want MPLS-encapsulated v6 traffic for
	   its own sake? Perhaps you're a purist, i.e., if
	   it's in v4, it should be in v6 :-).

	b) Do you want to support l2vpn's/l3vpn's? Well, you
	   don't need v6 for that, as MPLS is application
	   agnostic.

	c) Do you want to do TE? Well, you still don't need
	   v6 for that, as MPLS-TE runs happily over v4
	   signaling.

	d) Do you want to do TE for v6 traffic? Well, you
	   could use IGP metrics and all of that, and even
	   though it's cumbersome, lots of folks still do
	   that today, or use tunnels, or both (then again,
	   look out for the vendors that tell you not to
	   worry about TE for v6 since there isn't any
	   traffic of note on the Internet today).

	e) Do you want to do TE for v6 traffic using MPLS?
	   Well, there is 6PE (although some of us don't
	   like it).

	g) Do you want to support v6-based l3vpn's using
	   MPLS? Well, there is 6VPE.

	f) Do you want to remove the v6 route bloat in your
	   core? Well, there's only about 7,000 v6 entries
	   as of today. No bloat by any means (although it's
	   wise to note that some implementations burn 2x v4
	   routing slots for 1x v6 route, so it could be a
	   big problem as v6 scales up).

So, as you can see, no real motivation for the vendors :-\.

Do I still want MPLS for v6? Yes. But I'm not about to
commit to buying 10,000 units of a vendor's platform just to
get it :-).

Cheers,

Mark.