192.88.99.1 (6to4 anycast) in Russia

Ivan Shmakov ivan at gray.siamics.net
Fri Oct 21 18:37:25 CEST 2011

 >> BTW, I've got an impression that the major networks in Russia are
 >> generally fail to deliver any packets sent to the 6to4 anycast
 >> address.

 > In one respect, you should probably be glad about this, because it
 > will cause people to tend to disable 6to4 (which is a good thing).

	Just as well, it makes the presence of IPv6 connectivity utterly
	negligible in Russia.

	A couple of years ago, I've talked with one of the IT department
	managers at Altai State University while working there.  IIRC,
	his point was that IPv6 is by all means irrelevant to them.  And
	indeed, native IPv6 connectivity was extremly rare here (if
	there was any) until recently for the general people to know or
	care for it.

	And even now, IPv6 (6rd, along with a working 6to4 anycast) is
	only offered by a single ISP in the city (out of five or six at
	the least.)  For the rural areas, AIUI, the only option for IPv6
	connectivity is the use of some (presumably distant,
	network-wise) tunnel broker service.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257