Switches Juniper

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Oct 19 01:09:49 CEST 2011

On 10/18/2011 12:32 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:
> On 10/18/11 10:52 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>>> We've got an m7i that we can't do IPv6 tunneling on because that's a
>>> 'extra feature' and not only requires a special board but extra
>>> license.
>>
>> Eh? We've done this on M7i for years. Static IPv6 in IP or IPv6 in GRE
>> tunnels, no problem. No license required either. M7i has the necessary
>> tunnel "PIC" as a builtin feature.
>>

> But can yours do a sit/6in4 tunnel like what is used to do v6
> tunneling from say, tunnelbroker.net?  That, as far as we've been able
> to find, require the PIC to do it.
>
> Native isn't available at the one location where the m7i just happens
> to be, so we bring in a tunnel from HE.

Okay, just because I'm a Juniper lover after years of hating cisco and
newly hating foundry and alcatel when comparing them to Juniper.

1) ERX switches were aquired by Juniper. They have weird licensing. The
MX line is Juniper's growing replacement for the ERX.

2) M line can terminate a tunnel on the RE, but it CANNOT forward
traffic to it. Traffic does not forward to the RE on a Juniper except
for control plane. The MX line (and perhaps future M series line cards?)
has trio which supports man services pic functions directly on the MPC
linecards via trio chipset. It sucks, but it makes sense. Tunnels
weren't supported in hardware chipset, Junipers isolate the RE control
plane. So naturally, services which must be processed at a software
level must go on a services pic (or DPC on the MX, though trio is
getting massive updates to support the services DPC feature sets on the
linecards themselves).

3) EX is enterprise level, definitely not carrier grade, and it has an
extra license to support ISIS/BGP (though IPv6 is a freebie)

4) Licensing on the Services PIC is variable, but they've trimmed it up
in later years, and primarily has to do with what you are using the PIC for.

5) MX has a lot of licensing depending on subscriber services, calea,
flow data on trio/services DPC, etc. It also has licensing if you want
advanced IP Routing features on the cheaper layer 2.5 cards, but it's
bundled in the higher end cards. Always explain to your Juniper rep
every little thing you want out of the router or you'll miss licenses.

All, I have to say is,

commit confirm
issu
admin-group support for FRR (It's in the RFC Alcatel!)
Traffic never suddenly backs up to being processed by the RE at a
software level (oh, gee, how'd my processor crash with 10GE of traffic
suddenly switched to it because of some little silly command Cisco?).

Jack