Software licensing using IPv6 addresses?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Oct 18 21:25:32 CEST 2011

> Ted,
>
>> The MAC address dependency can be easily defeated by hard coding the
>> needed MAC into the network device driver and of course the IP address
>> dependency can be defeated by putting the device behind a translator,
>> but it is still a nuisance, and it is less of a nuisance to just
>> e-mail for a new key.
>
> Not if renumbering is to be automated, which is why we are analysing
> the cases where static addressing is needed.
>
> Thanks for the input. Oh, and do these vendors license users who
> are Net 10?

The 2 I deal with both run a licensing server on the local LAN
and not over the internet, they don't care what numbers are used.

Actually the more interesting question this leads up to is what is
Disney and ESPN going to do?  Both of those sites on the Internet
have gigantic lists of allowed/disallowed Ip addresses depending on
whether the ISP has paid it's blackmail fee to them or not.

Ted