Software licensing using IPv6 addresses?

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ottix.net
Tue Oct 18 03:24:22 CEST 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> I remember that some software licenses used to be enforced by relying
> on the user's static IPv4 address. Obviously this is a broken technique,
> but has anybody seen it used with IPv6 addresses?

I've seen this happen with IPv6 involved, but not by using IPv6
addressing, rather because of IPv6 addressing:

a)  A license server at a vendor was called by a license client.  Both
     are dual-stacked.  The server rejected the client.  It was expecting
     the Client's IPv4 address.  Removing the IPv6 address at the client
     end 'fixed' this.

b)  I've seen several orgs that use so-called 'virtual libraries', where
     the content holder strictly enforces IPv4 netblocks used by
     those orgs to access content.  I have been told there's no reason not
     to treat IPv6 any different but have yet seen this done in the wild.

There was another wierd one, but I think you'll find variations on a
theme.

> (At the moment this is an open question in
>draft-carpenter-6renum-static-problem-00.)
>
> Regards
>   Brian Carpenter

wfms