Switches Juniper

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Oct 18 19:49:37 CEST 2011

> >> We've got an m7i that we can't do IPv6 tunneling on because that's a
> >> 'extra feature' and not only requires a special board but extra license.
> >
> > Eh? We've done this on M7i for years. Static IPv6 in IP or IPv6 in GRE
> > tunnels, no problem. No license required either. M7i has the necessary
> > tunnel "PIC" as a builtin feature.
>
> But can yours do a sit/6in4 tunnel like what is used to do v6 tunneling
> from say, tunnelbroker.net?  That, as far as we've been able to find,
> require the PIC to do it.

Possibly. Notice I said *static*. That means something like the
following:

interfaces {
    ip-1/2/0 {
        unit 10 {
            tunnel {
                source a.b.c.d;
                destination w.x.y.z;
            }
            family inet6 {
                address 2001:8c0:pqrs::1/64;
            }
        }
    }
}

This is a statically configured IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel, using the tunnel
PIC available on all M7i routers.

> I can only go based on what the person who was setting this up saw and
> experienced - and the fact no matter how hard we tried, couldn't get the
> tunnels to come up on the m7i - even after following multiple examples
> and even the instructions directly off tunnelbroker.net.

Here is one set of instructions I found on

http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=21.0

which shows a IPv6 in GRE tunnel, instead of the IPv6 in IP tunnel I
showed above. As long as you only need static configurations, the M7i
will do this just fine, using the built in tunnel PIC.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no