Switches Juniper

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Tue Oct 18 19:32:55 CEST 2011

On 10/18/11 10:52 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>> We've got an m7i that we can't do IPv6 tunneling on because that's a
>> 'extra feature' and not only requires a special board but extra license.
>
> Eh? We've done this on M7i for years. Static IPv6 in IP or IPv6 in GRE
> tunnels, no problem. No license required either. M7i has the necessary
> tunnel "PIC" as a builtin feature.

But can yours do a sit/6in4 tunnel like what is used to do v6 tunneling
from say, tunnelbroker.net?  That, as far as we've been able to find,
require the PIC to do it.

Native isn't available at the one location where the m7i just happens to
be, so we bring in a tunnel from HE.

>>    Pretty much made sure I won't be using juniper products instead of
>> Foundry/Brocade or Cisco.
>>
>> It's beyond absurd.  Even my ancient cisco 2600s can do v6 tunneling and
>> functionality with a v6 image and without needing a special board.
>
> I suspect you've been talking to the wrong people...

Don't usually deal with sales people - hate the thought of listening to
(usually) mindless drivel about how great a product is blah blah blah.

I'm a cisco person by experience (pretty much anything in the 7500,
7500, and 6500 series).  I've got some experience with Brocade/Foundry
due to the switches we use.

I can only go based on what the person who was setting this up saw and
experienced - and the fact no matter how hard we tried, couldn't get the
tunnels to come up on the m7i - even after following multiple examples
and even the instructions directly off tunnelbroker.net.

*shrugs*

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org