Geoff on IPv4 Exhaustion

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Nov 21 08:22:12 CET 2011

On 11/20/2011 23:13, Matija Grabnar wrote:
> Well "the users don't want end-to-end" is an appeal to authority,
> too.

Sure, you can look at it that way if you want to. My actual intention is
to get the IPv6 kool-aid drinkers to look at what people have been
saying for years and draw their own conclusions from it.

> And I think it misses the point. The vast majority of users
> doesn't understand the issues involved in "end-to-end" vs NAT to NAT
> vs network to network VPN. They just want to do their jobs.

This much I agree with.

> The question is, which is in the long run, the most effective way of
> enabling them to do what they need to do?

No, it isn't. And this is a key point. The question is, what solutions
will corporate IT administrators accept, and why?

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."