Geoff on IPv4 Exhaustion

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Wed Nov 16 09:52:08 CET 2011

Francois,

On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 17:30 +0100, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:54:06PM +0000, Tord Førland wrote:
> >
> > It's been quiet on the list for a while. Time to get a discussion going!
> >
> > Geoff Huston spoke about IPv4 depletion at Ripe63. Some of you might have seen this before, but I thought this was worth sharing. He really puts things into perspective!
> >
> > http://ripe63.ripe.net/archives/video/238/
> >
> > Let the flaming on our future begin.
>
> One of the missing links on the client side is working DHCPv6 software.

Our DHCPv6 software (speaking as an ISC employee) runs on Unix systems,
Windows has had DHCPv6 since Vista, and the latest OS X has working
DHCPv6 as a client. If you're talking about specific equipment from
specific vendors, then I can't say.

> It's ridiculous to not be able to configure hosts the same way it has been
> done in IPv4 for years.
> The bare minimum includes sending router and DNS information on a host-by-host
> (not complete LAN segment) basis.

Unfortunately the DHCPv6 standards do not yet support sending router
information. This comes from ideological opposition to DHCPv6 within the
IETF, but that is finally being broken through by operators who actually
need this functionality, so hopefully Real Soon Now DHCPv6 will support
this.

DNS information can already be specified on a host-by-host basis, at
least with our client & server.

Cheers,

--
Shane