Geoff on IPv4 Exhaustion

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:44:06 CET 2011

On 2011-11-16 05:30, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:54:06PM +0000, Tord Førland wrote:
>> It's been quiet on the list for a while. Time to get a discussion going!
>>
>> Geoff Huston spoke about IPv4 depletion at Ripe63. Some of you might have seen this before, but I thought this was worth sharing. He really puts things into perspective!
>>
>> http://ripe63.ripe.net/archives/video/238/
>>
>> Let the flaming on our future begin.
>
> One of the missing links on the client side is working DHCPv6 software.
>
> It's ridiculous to not be able to configure hosts the same way it has been
> done in IPv4 for years.
> The bare minimum includes sending router and DNS information on a host-by-host
> (not complete LAN segment) basis.

You may want to comment on
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection
and
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mif-dhcpv6-route-option

Generally speaking, if you think an important feature is missing,
the best approach is to work on the problem in the IETF yourself.
It won't show up in implementations until someone specifies it.

     Brian