IPv6 day measurements

Todd Snyder todd at borked.ca
Mon May 30 17:20:15 CEST 2011

As we start the final push to IPv6 day, we're looking at what
statistics/data we want to be capturing and reporting on to determine the
'success' of the day for our services.  I'm curious what the greater
community sees as critical pieces of data to be capturing before, during and
after.

Right now we have an external VPS to use as a test point outside our
network.  From there, we're polling website access times, ping times, and
gathering semi-frequent traceroutes.

Internally, we're looking at running packet captures at key points.  We're
having problems getting IPv6 traffic/interface counters via SNMP, but I'm
hoping by next week we can get something pulled together.

For manual tests, I have a large list now of IPv6 looking glasses that I'm
planning on doing manual checks through, to test from various regions and
carrier networks.  I'd love to find/write something that's somewhat
automated, but the TOS on most/all LGs says no automation, so that won't be
happening.

So, what data you looking to collect?  How do you plan to test/validate your
IPv6 day presence?  What external resources have you found beneficial?

Cheers,

Todd.