Question Re: best practices

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Mon May 9 18:38:46 CEST 2011

I'm curious about this having read a couple books about the IPv4 -> IPv6
transition. I would like to know what the current best practice is.

Given: A small set ipv6 only network running various protocols, call
this the "IPv6 only server network", and a large legacy client IPv4
network, call this, say, "The Internet".

In this scenario the operator of the ipv6 network may not have the
luxury of implementing dual stack on the legacy IPv4 network. Given that
the methodology of providing access to this network via NA(P)T-PT has
been obsoleted, what is the current best practice for solving this problem?

I'm not really interested in a philosophical sort of "what I think
should happen" sort of debate, but rather a practical "this is what I
have implemented in my network" or "this is how I would solve this issue
given currently available equipment, software, and configurations
techniques".

Answers involving proposed but not implemented drafts are interesting
but not necessarily helpful.

Answers much appreciated.

Austin