Default security functions on an IPv6 CPE

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:30:09 CEST 2011

On May 6, 2011 8:04 AM, "Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols" <sjvn at vna1.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 07:57 +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> > 1) Today, portable computing devices like laptops and smartphones are
> > extremely common - far more common than stationary PCs. People drag
> > these around and connect them willy-nilly to all sorts of untrusted
> > networks found in airports, on airplanes, in hotels, at conferences,
> > at
> > cafés, or simply whatever unsecured wireless network in range that can
> > be leeched from. The sky isn't falling.
>
> Hasn't it? Just because we've gotten used to have private information
> stolen--e.g. the Epsilon and Sony security failures--doesn't mean that
> these incidents haven't been  serious. So far, no one's lost a lot of
> money in any of these fiascoes, but it's only a matter of time.
>
> Come the day it does happen and people finally start screaming about the
> current lousy state of network and server security, the last thing we
> want is for people to associate such a disaster with IPv6 networking.

I will bet you $1 usd that those hacked companies had network based stateful
firewalls in the path threw which they were attacked ...

Here is a hint. Sony hackers got PCI protected data.

While stateful fw may be part of a comprehensive security policy, their
value has decreased over the years as the attack vectors shifted.

IMHO, one of the easiest place to attack a network is overloading session on
a network firewall.  In most architectures, the fw is a single point of
failure.

Cb

PS. Please avoid creating fud for ipv6 by coupling it with legacy ipv4
failings