Default security functions on an IPv6 CPE

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols sjvn at vna1.com
Fri May 6 17:04:21 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 07:57 +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> 1) Today, portable computing devices like laptops and smartphones are
> extremely common - far more common than stationary PCs. People drag
> these around and connect them willy-nilly to all sorts of untrusted
> networks found in airports, on airplanes, in hotels, at conferences,
> at
> cafés, or simply whatever unsecured wireless network in range that can
> be leeched from. The sky isn't falling.

Hasn't it? Just because we've gotten used to have private information
stolen--e.g. the Epsilon and Sony security failures--doesn't mean that
these incidents haven't been  serious. So far, no one's lost a lot of
money in any of these fiascoes, but it's only a matter of time.

Come the day it does happen and people finally start screaming about the
current lousy state of network and server security, the last thing we
want is for people to associate such a disaster with IPv6 networking.

Steven
--
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
Editor-in-Chief, Practical Technology: http://www.practical-tech.com