6PE

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 02:57:09 CEST 2011

On May 4, 2011 1:31 AM, "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2011, Nuno Vieira - nfsi telecom wrote:
>
>> what are the pros and cons of doing it this way ?
>

> The pro:s of running 6PE is that one doesn't have to enable IPv6 in the
core, just at the PE level. It's MPLS label switched by the core, which can
then be IPv4 only. Yes, it makes for iffy traceroutes but that can be
"solved" by core hiding.

> I don't see anything inherently worse in label-switching IPv6, a lot of
people do this for IPv4 already (with and without core hiding).

6vpe has been a good fit in my network, no regrets.

On c7600 as a route reflector, it does require "ipv6 unicast-routing" so it
is not a purely edge solution.

I told everyone 6vpe was a PE only config and then had to eat my hat

Cb