IPv6 dynamic DNS services?

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Wed Mar 9 08:57:01 CET 2011

I see a few issues with implementing that for v6.

In the v4
world, it is quite simple. Your home CPE has only one public IP address,
assigned to the CPE. It can easily update a remote dynamic DNS service.

With v6, most CPEs I am aware of (and certainly my AVM Fritz!Box) uses
SLAAC to assign public v6 addresses to internal devices. If privacy
extensions are added to to the mix (the default on Windows boxes),
expect the CPE to become very confused when it needs to update an
external dynamic DNS service for all the devices on the home LAN.

It
is only the actual device itself that knows for sure its current public
v6 address. It would need to update the dynamic DNS service itself. The
CPE can not do that.It only knows about its own v6 address.

With
DHCPv6 on the home LAN, that would be easier to get the CPE to do the
updates. However, I expect SLAAC to become the norm for home CPEs. Even
MacOSX does not support DHCPv6 out of the box.

Patrick Vande Walle

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 23:14:25 +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> We were
asking CPE router vendors about IPv6 DynDNS support. They came
> back to
us with "show us a service supporting IPv6 and we'll look at
> it". I
was surprised that there ain't such thing at the moment.

> I'm not
looking for something for myself, but something to ask vendors
implement in CPE routers deployed in mass to residential users...

I see
several issues with implementing that for v6.

In the v4 world, it is
quite simple. Your home CPE has only one public IP address, assigned to
the CPE.It can easily update a remote dynamic DNS service.

With v6,
most CPEs I am aware of (and certainly my AVM Fritz!Box) uses SLAAC to
assign public v6 addresses to internal devices. If privacy extensions
are added to to the mix (th defalt on Windows boxes), expect the CPE to
become very confused when it needs to update an external dynamic DNS
service for all the devices on the home LAN.

It is only the actual
device itself that knows for sure its current public v6 address. It
would then need to update the dynamic DNS service itself. The CPE could
not do that.