IPv6 dynamic DNS services?

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Mar 8 23:35:52 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 10:16:50PM +0000, Daniel Austin wrote:
> Ah the age old chicken n egg scenario :)

Indeed. Breaking the circle. :)

>> This would definately require some long-term support commitment I
>> guess. :-)
>
> I've owned it for 11 years, I could manage a long-term commitment I guess
> :-)

I was more thinking about having to deal with supporting users on a more
extended base than just "private" or "mouth propaganda". Those CPEs are
deployed in large numbers, and as soon as folks realize what their shiny
new non-NATted IPv6 connectivity offers, I guess IPv6 dynamic DNS
services will become quite popular...

You'd definately need a portal for people to create/administer accounts,
implement miscreant defense etc.

>> Not trying to shy you away! :] It would probably be easiest if the
>> update interface follows same protocol/syntax like DynDNS.com's
>> service so they don't have to actually change that part of the code.
>
> Good idea - i'll look into it, thanks :-)

I've just noticed that one of the vendors actually has an option to
define a custom update URL using variables for
username/password/IP-address etc.

Would be interesting to know wether dyn.com already has a clear syntax
for v4-only/v6-only/dual-stacked updates in place.

Best regards,
Daniel