Curious choices made by Cisco/Tandberg

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Thu Mar 3 18:23:19 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 05:43:37PM +0100, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
> This avoids (by way of a tough administrative choice) a whole class of
> problems that the Happy Eyeballs draft aims to solve.

True, though at a rather high cost. It's essentially the same as requiring everyone to have two PCs on their desk, one for v4 destinations and one for v6; that's what we would have to do if we wanted to be able to support both protocols for video conferencing with this box. Well, boxes in that case. We could have the "IPv4 conference room" and the "IPv6 conference room". Or, maybe not.

> Disclaimer: I have no clue why it is this way - just saying that the
> value of "stupid" depends on a system of coordinates. I would imagine
> there exist closed networks that are IPv6 only, and that do not use
> that IPv6 for anything other than voice.

Back when I used to do a lot of car maintenance on my Toyota, it was very handy to know that I only had to reach for socket wrenches on the metric side of my toolbox. If I only worked on that car I could have simplified my tool collection substantially. However, I also worked on my wife's Ford, and that meant that it was very important for me to have the imperial sizes as well. Likewise, I think that for some time it will be necessary to have v4 and v6 options for just about everything I do on the network. . .

Bill.