Curious choices made by Cisco/Tandberg

Andrew Yourtchenko ayourtch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:43:37 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Bill Owens <owens at nysernet.org> wrote:
> We have a Cisco/Tandberg H.323 endpoint, the C20 model. This week the network engineer who takes care of it decided to do a code upgrade to fix a security problem, and found out that the firmware now supports IPv6. Good news, right? Well, not exactly:
>
> http://www.tandberg.com/collateral/documentation/User_Manuals/Cisco%20Telepresence%20System%20ProfileC20%20and%20QuickSetC20%20Administrator%20Guide%20(TC4.0).pdf
>
> Network [1..1] IPStack
> Select which internet protocols the system will support.
> Requires user role: ADMIN
> Value space: <IPv4/IPv6>
> IPv4: IP version 4 is supported.
> IPv6: IP version 6 is supported. The IPv4 settings (IP Address, IP Subnet Mask and Gateway) will be disabled.
>             ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^
>
> Yes, that's right, you can have IPv6, but only if you're willing to forego IPv4. On the one hand, I want to applaud their optimism. But I'm too stunned by the cluelessness. . .
>
> Bill.

This avoids (by way of a tough administrative choice) a whole class of
problems that the Happy Eyeballs draft aims to solve.

Disclaimer: I have no clue why it is this way - just saying that the
value of "stupid" depends on a system of coordinates. I would imagine
there exist closed networks that are IPv6 only, and that do not use
that IPv6 for anything other than voice.

cheers,
andrew