From the dualstack-is-fun department...

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Mar 1 01:07:36 CET 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> Seriously, I think we operators would be well advised to help reviewing
> and polish up the Happy Eyeballs spec and - if deemed feasible - promote
> implementation to OS/Distro/App vendors ASAP.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-v6ops-happy-eyeballs-ipv6-01
>
> Happy Eyeballs ain't unproblematic. Opportunistic session setup will
> have impact on - if the IPv6 transport of a dual-stacked target host
> works fine, the opportunistic IPv4 session setups will "unnecessarily"
> (as no data traffic transfer follows) clog up resources on LSNAT44
> and the target firewalls, loadbalancers and host (phantom sessions).
> See section 4.2.1

And, would you have noticed the IPv6 related bug if happy-eyeballs was
already implemented or would legacy IP have worked well enough for you
to not notice (read as - what's better?, getting the bug fixed or not
noticing and harming IPv6 for longer)?

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.