ipv6-ops Digest, Vol 75, Issue 33

Emile Aben emile.aben at ripe.net
Sat Jun 11 05:58:12 CEST 2011

On 09/06/2011 17:45, ipv6-ops-request at lists.cluenet.de wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>>> humm, the ripe dns survey seems to say differently: most seemed
>>> to have reverted to serve only v4 addresses.
>>> http://v6day.ripe.net/cgi-bin/dns-aggr.cgi
>>>
>>> maybe their web sites are still listening on the v6 address, and
>>> you have cached by some means (or the TTL was long) the v6
>>> address?
> No I flushed that resolver cache before I ran it.  Not sure what you
> are referring to with RIPE but the ISOC "participants" list had about
> 430 sites listed. I actually do not care about the 5 big ones.  They
> had their games now and they'll be back one day for sure.   It's the
> mass that didn't turn off again and join the dualed-stack community,
> which is the really good sign.

The measurements we (the RIPE NCC) did, looked at a subset of the
participants (about 27 were not dual-stacked a couple of weeks ago and
26 did dual-stack on the day, or just before the day), so it is possible
that for this metric that is a non-representative sample of the ~430, as
we didn't know who would leave it on or not. I guess the big
organisations are overrepresented in our sample.
Good that people look into the full ~430 sites-list, and I think ISOC is
keeping track as well.

best,
Emile Aben
RIPE NCC