Facebook over IPv6

Martin Millnert martin at millnert.se
Sat Jun 11 02:46:18 CEST 2011

Ted,

you misunderstand.

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 17:28 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On 6/10/2011 4:28 PM, jkrejci at usinternet.com wrote:
> > You do not of course have to run a separate physical server to run a
> > separate instance of a name server that does IPv6 only, listening on
> > and querying from its own IP address. Unless there are other
> > requirements from google. I have not read their DNS whitelisting
> > policy in a while.
> >
> What technical reason is there that you would run separate IPv4 and
> IPv6 DNS servers?  The server software can do it so the only reason
> they would stick that requirement in there is redundancy.

They want a resolver giving AAAA:s to customers to query Google's NS's
from separate IPs of those that hand out A's. IIRC they once spoke about
these AAAA-returning servers to only use IPv6 to query as well,
essentially creating a AF separation: Customers get AAAA's only from v6
resolvers which query over v6 to v6 NS's.

There were a few threads about this a year ago or so.

Physical separation is not required.

/M