Facebook over IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sat Jun 11 02:28:55 CEST 2011

On 6/10/2011 4:28 PM, jkrejci at usinternet.com wrote:
> You do not of course have to run a separate physical server to run a
> separate instance of a name server that does IPv6 only, listening on
> and querying from its own IP address. Unless there are other
> requirements from google. I have not read their DNS whitelisting
> policy in a while.

What technical reason is there that you would run separate IPv4 and
IPv6 DNS servers?  The server software can do it so the only reason
they would stick that requirement in there is redundancy.

And when you virtualize or whatever, you lose the redundancy.  Thus
to me your "cheating" and going against the meaning of the Google
requirements.

I may tolerate this "the real speed limit is 65Mph but we will
post it 55Mph" on the nation's highways bullshit, but I'm not
going to support it with this.

Going with Google's requirements is just perpetuating some ass-backward
network admins idea of how to transition.  I'd rather bitch about it
and maybe Google will pull their head out if enough other people bitch
too.  The alternative is for every admin to do whatever weird cockamamie
different requirements that a bunch of service providers dream up to
get IPv6 running.

So when Facebook comes out with a requirement that you have a dual-stack
DNS server to get on "their" IPv6 whitelist, are you going to meekly
accept that too?  How exactly are you going to make both of them happy?

Ted