Philosophical question for IPv6 Day

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Fri Jun 10 14:57:33 CEST 2011

On Jun 9, 2011, at 12:21 AM, Bill Owens wrote:

> Which is better, at this stage of IPv6 deployment and transition:
>
> - a fully dual-stacked website, functional for a v6-only client without resorting to v4, and located at a separate URL (www.ipv6, etc.)
>
> or
>
> - a v6-accessible skeleton at the main URL (www) that isn't functional by itself, and forces the client to use v4 to fetch a substantial amount of the content.

One thing to always keep in mind here is that most web crawlers (or whatever they are called these days) are mostly IPv4 only still, which means that anything you do not publicize on a dual-stack or content that is different for v4 vs. v6 access is basically lost for a) current catalogues and b) for anything preserving the web history of the Internet.

I think that's a major deficit and industry needs to fix this.  It's also a major pro for just dual-stacked machines.

/bz

   Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.