Philosophical question for IPv6 Day

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Thu Jun 9 14:57:30 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:17:24AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> 3rd option:
>
> - a fully dual-stacked website, functional for a v6-only client, located at
>   the main domain name

Absolutely - and yet, we have dozens of websites that are only willing/able/motivated to enable IPv6 access for a single 24-hour period, at the end of which they stopped the experiment (and they clearly view it as an experiment, at this stage).

Without understanding the intricacies of running a major website (I'm a network guy) I am willing to posit that they have reasons for this position. Perhaps not reasons based on full understanding of the situation, or based on good foresight, but that's the way it is. It seems that under these conditions it is easier for those organizations to create an IPv6 infrastructure while operating it in parallel from the production service. Which, after all, is how we originally did it with the network, way back when ;) And having a separate but operational IPv6 site is better, IMO, especially if the v6-accessible but v4-dependent site is only available for one day.

On that note, I see that all three of the status pages I was watching yesterday have been frozen at the last part of the day. Is anyone keeping track of what the list looks like now?

Bill.