Philosophical question for IPv6 Day

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Thu Jun 9 04:16:25 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 05:24:25PM -0700, Erik Kline wrote:
> The second one.  It might seem cheesey, but it can be steadily
> refactored and improved for more IPv6 piece by piece and gains real
> IPv6 users.  Nobody uses alternate domainnames.

But has that actually happened anywhere? It seems as though we've had the example of alternate websites that eventually entered into production, but I don't know of anyone who's done what you propose.

Actually there's a third option, DNS whitelisting, and IMO that works quite well but I think there are relatively few websites with enough weight to justify the effort to build the system, and to get ISPs participating. Really needs to be a kind of web empire in order to make it worthwhile ;)

Bill (a happy Google whitelist user)