Active ipv6 'mapping' project ?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Jul 27 22:29:10 CEST 2011

On 2011-07-27 22:18 , Brandon Applegate wrote:
> Just poking around in my home firewall logs.  I have a tunnel to one of
> my data centers giving the house ipv6.  I noticed a steady flow of icmp
> echo requests with the destination address being my firewall itself.
> This pattern is steady (not a flood, but it is constant).  They are all
> 64 byte packets with the payload being the typical walk through ASCII.
>
> A sample of the source addresses are here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/X9FwBtkE
>
> That's from ~ 1000 packets sample.  A good amount of these come back as
> Akamai.
>
> Anyone know what this is ?  Thanks.

As the sources are mostly in backbone networks have you thought about
somebody running an 'mtr' which does a per-hop ICMP request continuesly?

But those would be echo responses on your side then not requests.

The "walk through ASCII" sounds like a normal ping at least and could
quite well be either fping or mtr too.

If you can provide a packet dump of at least one of these packets
(scrubbing src/dst if you want) that would help.

One big question of course is if your 'dst' address (the 'firewall') is
published anywhere or not.

Greets,
 Jeroen