2001:5c0::/32 HEXAGO-V6-NET1 Hexago revoked by ARIN?

Bruce Sinclair bruce at gogo6.com
Sun Jan 23 05:00:01 CET 2011

Hello, as was pointed out yesterday, the Freenet6 service operated by gogo6
has continued to use the prefix (2001:5c0::/32) that was revoked by ARIN two
months ago.  The good news however is that after lengthy discussions with
ARIN late yesterday I believe the same prefix will be reallocated to us
sometime next week.

It’s a long story but read on if you are interested in how we found
ourselves in this situation.

Around two years ago when Hexago became gogo6 we applied to ARIN to transfer
our prefix to the gogo6 corporate entity. After a lengthy review process
were denied twice on the grounds that the corporate transaction
documentation describing the transfer of Hexago to gogo6 did not meet the
criteria for a prefix transfer as defined by ARIN’s rules on mergers and
acquisitions.  We were given the opportunity to appeal the decision again
but we were kind of out of steam at that point and reasoned that we would
deal with it later when we had more time.

About 8 months later it was becoming obvious that our Freenet6 network, with
only four disparate POPs on different networks, was struggling to keep up
with the amount of users and IPv6 bandwidth it was handling.  We needed to
do something about improving Freenet6’s capacity, stability and performance.
 We concluded the best place for Freenet6 would be on a worldwide native v6
backbone.  Three of the large IPv6 transit operators were interested in
hosting the service but each had their own terms and conditions and among
them was to use their v6 addresses.  Having allocated over 20,000 prefixes
to our users we were troubled about the amount of work they would have to do
to accommodate new addresses.

As the deadline to return our prefix loomed we realized that we were not
going to be able to finalize a deal to move Freenet6 in time so we had to
make a decision.  Our choices were:

2. Finalize a deal to move FN6 asap
3. Acquire a new prefix for Freenet6 via gogo6

In hindsight we should have persevered with choice 1 but we thought we would
have a deal “any day” so we chose option 2.  We dismissed option 3 because
we considered two address space changes to be unacceptable.  Well option 2
is still being negotiated and here we are two months past the deadline.

The good news is I met John Curran when he presented at gogoNET LIVE! and
after presenting the situation directly to him he was receptive in working
on a solution.  After going back and forth for a good part of yesterday
afternoon we have agreed on a different set of legal documentation that will
enable the transfer of the prefix back to gogo6/Freenet6.  This should
happen next week shortly after I have some new legal documents produced.
 Phew.  So there may still be a prefix change coming up with the
accompanying heartburn if you have acquired addresses from us but at least
it will only be once and it will be in exchange for a much better Freenet6
experience.  Thanks for all the concern, well wishes and suggestions over
the last 24 hours and sorry for any anxiety or confusion this may have
caused.

Bruce Sinclair, CEO, gogo6

--
Join me on gogoNET: Social network and services for professionals to go v6:
http://gogoNET.gogo6.com.