World IPv6 Day? [included bonus report on brokeness studies]

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Jan 14 19:23:24 CET 2011

On 01/14/2011 01:02, Brandon Butterworth wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> For the most part the problem is not that it will cost money for the
>> content providers to fix the problems. The real issue is that the
>> problems lie completely outside the content providers' control, and yet
>> they affect the content providers' users anyway.
>
> Supporting users with problems we've triggered by adding v6 is the
> problem.

Yes, exactly. In the short term supporting v6 is a pure cost center,
with only a vague promise of continued operation in the distant and
uncertain future as the payoff. That is simply not how most large
corporations think.

The fact that some of the largest Internet companies in the world are
now putting serious money and effort (and money!) into getting ready for
IPv6 is an unqualified good, and should be celebrated. The complaining
about "too little, too late," or "Just Do It" makes you seem silly and
out of touch with reality. It's not helpful.

For those of you who have already been doing IPv6 (some of you for years
now) your reward is the warm feeling you have in your heart for having
done the right thing before it was fashionable to do so; and more
importantly for helping us all get to this point. Instead of whinging
about it, start thinking creatively about how you can use the free
publicity that this event is going to generate to your advantage. This
is especially true for you ISPs who have had IPv6 working for your
customers already. Most of them will be blissfully unaware of this, so
take this opportunity to let them know how '1337 you are because you're
so far ahead of the curve. :)

I know I'm repeating myself here, so I'll try very hard to make this my
last post on the topic.

Doug

			-- OK Go