World IPv6 Day? [included bonus report on brokeness studies]

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jan 14 16:58:11 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 08:32:25AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On a side issue, a large (although only partially commercial) content
> provider apparently doesn't care about losing "less than 1%"
> of customers if it reduces OPEX:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/12/bbc_wml/

If we go back a few years, the AAAA lookup problem was preventing
(or delaying) IPv6 users from looking at various sites, including
HP, Perl, BBC and anyone with Doubleclick adds. This is a similar
situation, where a small fraction of users are being lost.

The Perl and the BBC guys fixed this problem pretty much immediately,
once it was brought to their attention. HP and Doubleclick, who
were presumably loosing real dollars, took a considerably longer
time to fix it, even when Jim Bound was on their case!

This makes me think that ease of getting organizational sign-off
is also important in getting IPv6 going. Since it is easier to get
signoff on a one day trial, rather than permeant IPv6 deployment,
I'd say the IPv6 day is a good thing.

	David.