World IPv6 Day? [included bonus report on brokeness studies]

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Jan 14 04:50:22 CET 2011

On 01/13/2011 11:32, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On a side issue, a large (although only partially commercial) content
> provider apparently doesn't care about losing "less than 1%"
> of customers if it reduces OPEX:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/12/bbc_wml/

Interesting article, but you're comparing apples and rutabagas.

1. WAP as a technology was DOA (I remember trying to use it way back when).
2. No one uses WAP as their primary access method to anyone's web site.
3. Most rational people agree that anyone wanting to stay in the
Internet business will need to support access to their stuff over IPv6
for the long haul.

> I do wonder how big a deal these failure rates really are, when you
> consider the cost of fixing them. Of course, we should try to fix them,
> but not at *any* price.

For the most part the problem is not that it will cost money for the
content providers to fix the problems. The real issue is that the
problems lie completely outside the content providers' control, and yet
they affect the content providers' users anyway.

Doug

			-- OK Go