IPv6-capable 10G switches

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Jan 12 19:05:18 CET 2011

> Thanks for the warning, that is indeed a rip-off. Also, way out of
> budget that I have.
>
> Assuming I only need marginal IPv6 layer 3 functionality (i.e. in
> software, not ASIC, no need for high-performance there),
> what would be the next-best and affordable (about 3 kEUR) equivalent
> from HP or someone else? Ability to be able to plug in 1-2 10 GBit/s
> SFP+ MMF transceiver would be nice, but in a pinch I'd settle for
> 4x SFP MMF (1 GBit).
>
> > If I only had a penny for every time I've bitched about this...
> >
> > BTW only the DC models of the EX 3200 have no PoE.  However you can
> > easily disable it in the configuration file.
>
> --
> ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://www.ativel.com http://postbiota.org

Getting 10G switches for under $US5K is going to be tough to do.  A
24-port Brocade Turbiron lists for around US$12K without optics but you
can probably get a decent discount off list.  That switch is 24 ports of
10G or 1G (sfp or SPF+ optics with 4 RJ45 ports, I think).  They will
take just about anyone's optics, though, and don't lock in their own.

If you only need 2 ports of 10G you can get something like the FCX which
gives the capability of 2x 10G XFP ports plus 24 ports 1G. The FLS gives
two CX4 (cable) 10G ports and one XFP optical 10G port.  You will
probably pay about $5K for either of those.