IPv6 portability between gateways

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Jan 12 13:30:39 CET 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 01:16:30PM +0100, Roger Wiklund wrote:
> What's your take on this, how are you doing in your network? Can you
> move the IPv6 address range between any gateway? Do you only care
> about aggregation in the edge of your network?

I think internal aggregation is a hard MUST, otherwise the sheer number
of, say, /56s in a /32 are going to kill you... (or /48 in DT's /19...).

Now, regarding customer migration, my personal approach would be to
permit it to happen, accepting some level of deaggregation - under
the assumption that physical relocation is not *that* frequent, and that
people might change their contract at the same time to a new ISP, or
to a new product offering (which might require renumbering anyway), etc.

Since this is crystal ball stuff, I might be horribly wrong...

(Disclaimer: we're not a large-scale DSL/cable/... access ISP, so I
don't have good numbers regarding customer relocation, customer churn,
etc. - I just spent some time thinking on how this might work out)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279