IPv6 portability between gateways

Roger Wiklund roger.wiklund at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:16:30 CET 2011

Today in our IPv4 network a customer for example in Stockholm can keep
the PA IP range if they move to lets say Gothenburg. We can do this as
long as they move within the country.

Now with IPv6, our plan is to assign a /32 to each country, and to
start with, each gateway will be assigned a /44. Each customer on that
gateway will get a /48 out of that /44.
This is all fine and dandy, and keeps the routing table to a minimum.

Now if the customer decides to move from Stockholm to Gothenburg and
he wants to keep the existing range, we need to advertise the
"Stockholm /48" in Gothenburg, and all of the sudden the routing table
has grown with 1 extra prefix.

What's your take on this, how are you doing in your network? Can you
move the IPv6 address range between any gateway? Do you only care
about aggregation in the edge of your network?

/Roger