Greenfield IPv4 + IPv6 broadband deployment

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Feb 27 03:57:50 CET 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Frank Bulk wrote:

> It's a bit much, in our customer base, to require a router.

Could you please elaborate on that?

It's my world view that a majority of people already have a NAT gateway
(because they want wifi etc), and the people who don't, do they really
need IPv6 connectivity right away? When they want it, they can purchase a
router and then have it.

I just see so many downsides with supporting a vendor routed /64 that I
don't see that I can recommend it. Of course, large deployment hasn't
happened yet so operationally we don't know what's going to happen.

If you're going to be the default gw of the /64, I think it's a good idea
to enforce what number of IPv6 addresses and mac addresses you support in
the service. Handling lots of ND is not going to scale, you really don't
want to be part of the home network if you can avoid it. Think 50 devices
which might have multiple IPv6 addresses each. That's a lot of ND and TCAM
usage.

I'm sure you can get away with it initially, but isn't it better to do it
right from the start than to have to stop doing it and converting the
users later?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se