Dual stack hotspot/captive portal

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 24 03:20:36 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Dan White wrote:

> I think the cat is out of the bag on DHCPv6. Unless you have control
> over the client systems (like in an enterprise network), I think DHCPv6
> is going to be a far more frustrating path as a solution than other
> options.

Why?

You tell people that either they need to get DHCPv6 support or they don't
get any IPv6 at all. I'd say DHCPv6 is either default on or easily
installable on 90+% of systems with proper IPv6 support today.

All Windows(on default)/OSX/Linux systems are easily fixed or have it
already working. The only ones I can think of that will be a problem are
iOS/Android devices, I have no idea about the state of DHCPv6 support
there, but I don't see how they can avoid to support it long term.

DHCPv6 is basically a must in any security minded network (otherwise you
have to do /64 single broadcast domain per user). All clients will have to
support it eventually to work properly.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se