ipv6 next-hop link-local

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Sat Feb 19 14:30:53 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:02:35PM +1030, Mark Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:52:41 +0100
> > >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > I think the fact that you're putting that in your signature indicates
> > > we really shouldn't be making judgements about what will be common IPv6
> > > practice at this stage of IPv6 deployment.
> >
> > It's unclear to me how you get from that signature to that conclusion.
> >

> Just that if Gert feels he needs to question people in his email
> signature, by default, as to whether they've enabled IPv6 or not, it
> seems to me that is a sign that there isn't very much IPv6 operational
> experience yet. So I don't think we have enough operational
> history yet to be making judgements as to whether a feature like using
> link-locals for BGP should be deprecated. At this time I think it would
> be a premature decision.

You shouldn't make wild assumptions.
Even a simple investigation about his person would have quickly
invalidated it, but instead you trust your assumption without bothering
to verify.
Spacenet is probably the first commercial ISP in Germany who offered
IPv6 connections and Gert has always been the head behind this deployment.
Gert's signature more likely comes from the same frustration that all the
people (including myself) have who tryed to use IPv6 about 10 years ago.
We all started with full expectations to get the transistion done in the
next couple of years.
Now about 10 years later and IANA finally run out of addresses and still
IPv6 isn't easily available and if it is available often done in an
almost unuseable way with dynamic addresses and such.
>From an integrators standpoint I could even ask:
Do you deliver unuseable alibi IPv6 to your customers today?
Something I never assumed to happen 10 years ago.
I all goes into the wrong direction with all the last minute deployments
right now.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de