dead:beef::

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Feb 16 14:41:39 CET 2011

> Has anybody here seen garbage IPv6 packets whose source address is
> like dead:beef::, where the 32 bits are a reasonable IPv4 address?
>
> That is to say, it's like an IPv4-mapped address but with the
> bits at the wrong end, followed by 96 zeros.
>
> We seem to get some of those arriving here, with valid IPv6
> destination addresses.

 Like Ignatios, I've encountered packets with a *destination* address
like you describe, but not source.  In my case, I generated them in one
of my less-good iterations of trying to port Nagios' check_nrpe to IPv6.
 (I ended up scrapping my effort and using Bernhard Schmidt's patch,
which worked as expected.)
 I too would be interested in learning of the protocol/etc.  My
off-the-cuff guess would be a poor implementation of specified source
address in some app with not-very-mature v6 support.

     Jima