MacOS pptp client + IPv6

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Feb 7 16:06:39 CET 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 09:23:15AM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> Anyone gotten the MacOS PPTP/VPN client to obtain an IPv6 address?  I'm using a Cisco router on the other end, and am looking for anything obvious i'm missing.  It appears to be sending the traffic out the virtual-access interface just fine, but I'm not seeing an IPv6 address on the ppp0 interface.
>>
>> - Jared
>>
>> interface Virtual-Template1
>> ip unnumbered FastEthernet2/0
>> ipv6 unnumbered FastEthernet2/0
>> ipv6 enable
>> ipv6 nd reachable-time 30
>> no ipv6 nd suppress-ra
>
> Are you actually seeing RAs with a prefix being sent out by the Cisco?
>
> I'm wondering whether the combination with "ipv6 unnumbered" might
> make the Cisco consider the interface as "there's no prefix here" so
> it will only announce a "naked" RA...
>
> We use radius to stick IPv6 prefixes to virtual-interface interfaces,
> so I'm not sure whether this...
>
>> peer default ip address pool DIAL-IN
>> peer default ipv6 pool DIAL-IN6
>
> ... would achieve the same job (grab a /64, stick it on the vif,
> send out proper RAs).
>
> I'd tcpdump to be sure :-)

So what I am seeing as the 'created' config when the pptp/vpn session is up:

!
interface Virtual-Access3
 ip unnumbered FastEthernet2/0
 ipv6 unnumbered FastEthernet2/0
 ipv6 enable
 ipv6 nd reachable-time 30
 ipv6 nd prefix 3ffe:3ffe:0:7080::/64 2592000 604800 no-rtr-address
 no ipv6 nd suppress-ra
 peer default ipv6 pool DIAL-IN6
!

As you can see the rt_adv solved it, but I do wonder how to solve this for iPhone/iPad devices as well.

- Jared