IPv6 multihoming

Henrik Lund Kramshøj hlk at kramse.org
Sat Feb 5 17:10:55 CET 2011

On 04/02/2011, at 23.52, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On 2011-02-05 10:13, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> On 04/02/2011 19:31, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> If you mean a user site running two different PA prefixes all the
>>> time, so that no holes need to be punched, that works out of the box,
>>> although people don't seem to believe it. It also scales.
>>
>> yep, it scales well.  It doesn't actually do what end users actually
>> need from multihoming, mind you - but it does scale very nicely indeed.
>
> It doesn't support session failover unless both ends run shim6.
> And there is still some missing technology for exit router selection.
> Certainly, we need to solve those problems. My point is that we need
> to, since the PI approach still won't scale (as we've known since
> about 1992, btw). It will do fine for a year or five.

and running servers is straight forward and updating DNS dynamically when
one of the connections fail are easy, and getting to influence the path coming into your network
can be done without problems ....

I guess we are really talking about different things,

yes a user browsing and USING ressources on the internet can use multiple roads out of the network

but from my viewpoint having servers and services running is a whole other matter.

We are hosting a number of really large accounts and we have enough complexity when providing redundant services, using multiple locations
using each their own addresses (some from PA some from PI IPv4) that adding multiple
addresses into the mix from TWO (or more PA spaces) is really not an option.

We have streaming servers and would like to peer traffic away, as well as having two or
more redundant transit providers.

Do you, Brian, actually suggest that this service would have to have ~5 addresses
from the various PA spaces? instead of having a well-known IPv6 PI address which is
the same from various places?

Multihoming and IPv6 PI MUST be sorted out, and fixed - not in 5 years, but more like now!

I wrote my thesis about IPv6 in 2002 and even then people could not really agree how to do multihoming, *sigh*

Some people discuss on mailing list, others try to work with the internet and provide services :-)

Hope the message gets through, no intention to annoy anyone, just a bit frustrated that IPv6 is
finally getting off the ground.

Best regards

Henrik

--
Henrik Lund Kramshøj, Follower of the Great Way of Unix
hlk at kramse.org hlk at solidonetworks.com
+45 2026 6000 cand.scient CISSP CEH
http://solidonetworks.com/ Network Security is a business enabler