IPv6 multihoming

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 23:52:58 CET 2011

On 2011-02-05 10:13, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 04/02/2011 19:31, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> If you mean a user site running two different PA prefixes all the
>> time, so that no holes need to be punched, that works out of the box,
>> although people don't seem to believe it. It also scales.
>
> yep, it scales well.  It doesn't actually do what end users actually
> need from multihoming, mind you - but it does scale very nicely indeed.

It doesn't support session failover unless both ends run shim6.
And there is still some missing technology for exit router selection.
Certainly, we need to solve those problems. My point is that we need
to, since the PI approach still won't scale (as we've known since
about 1992, btw). It will do fine for a year or five.

   Brian