IPv6 Source Address Selection on Mac OS X Lion

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Thu Dec 15 23:28:03 CET 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:

> Mohacsi Janos writes:
> - On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Christoph Stahl wrote:
> - > Its hard to believe, that there might be no way to achieve that on Mac,
> - > when there are obvious ways for Win and Linux. You mention the command
> - > "ip6addrctl". This command is not in Lion, but also not in Snow Leopard.
> - > I cannot say if it is in Leopard or even Tiger.
> -
> - Since Max OS X has strong root in *BSD, and all the *BSD is using
> - "ip6addrctl" to setup policy table, we might expect ip6addrctl on Mac OS
> - X also. Not there for any Mac OS X until now.
>
> You're stretching in saying "all the *BSD is using".
>
> As far as I am aware, only FreeBSD is using ip6addrctl, and that
> occurred at some point after MacOS X was created from the FreeBSD
> userland. (much of the original MacOS X PPC kernel land came from
> NetBSD, merged into NextOS's MACH kernel)

Sorry probably I stretched wrongly the "ip6addrctl" availability to all
*BSD. Recently when I used NetBSD or OpenBSD it was patched with KAME. I
expected the all the KAME userland was imported to NetBSD and OpenBSD
including ip6addrctl. I see I was wrong:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2011/11/26/msg003021.html

Also expected gradual merging of FreeBSD userland changes to Mac OS X....

I see some interesting source:
http://opensource.apple.com/source/network_cmds/network_cmds-356.8/ip6addrctl.tproj/

Best Regards,
 		Janos Mohacsi