IPv6 Source Address Selection on Mac OS X Lion

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Thu Dec 15 16:31:42 CET 2011

Dear Christoph,

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Christoph Stahl wrote:

> Dear Janos,
>
> thanks very much for your input! Happy-Eye-Balls handles more what
> should happen when you are dual-stacked and the IPv6 target is not
> reachable via IPv6. My problem is focused on the problem of selecting
> the correct IPv6 source address for a given target-prefix.

RFC 3484 and its later improvements are dealing not only with source
address selection, but also preference of IPv6 or IPv4 via policy table.
Happy-Eye-Ball is a kind of solution for TCP like service to provide
better response time. Happy-Eye-Ball cannot replace RFC-3484(bis). In Mac
OS X Lion there some sort of Happy-Eye-Ball and probably behind the scene
there is some dynamic update of IPv6 and IPv4 preference for a particular
destination host. That is why you see in your test sometimes IPv6 address
sometimes IPv4 addresses. Lion is updating the destination cache based on
the connection setup RTT time.

if ((RTT_via_IPv6 - RTT_via_IPv4) < some_Apple_defined_ms)  {
use_IPv6
} else {
use_IPv4
}

> Its hard to believe, that there might be no way to achieve that on Mac,
> when there are obvious ways for Win and Linux. You mention the command
> "ip6addrctl". This command is not in Lion, but also not in Snow Leopard.
> I cannot say if it is in Leopard or even Tiger.

Since Max OS X has strong root in *BSD, and all the *BSD is using
"ip6addrctl" to setup policy table, we might expect ip6addrctl on Mac OS
X also. Not there for any Mac OS X until now.

> By the way: Dual stacked, with a static IPv4 and IPv6 address and an
> autoconfigured IPv6 address it is quite "funny" which address gets
> selected when surfing the web: When surfing to "whatismyipv6.net" the
> site displays my IPv4 address. When surfing to "six.heise.de", the site
> is reached without a problem. When surfing to "sixxs.net" the site
> displays my autoconfigured IPv6 address - after hitting "reload" a few
> times, my IPv4 address gets displayed and stays there for each
> subsequent reload request.
>
> To get through the IPv6 firewall and host.allow to our servers where
> only my static /128 address is allowed I have found a workaround on Mac:
> use ssh with "ssh -6 -b <mystaticIPv6> <ipv6enabledhost>.
>
> I hate it when Win XP is capable of doing one thing better than the Mac;-)

Agree. Room for improvement for Apple.
 	Best Regards,
 			Janos Mohacsi