mail filtering based on reverse DNS

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Thu Aug 11 01:32:16 CEST 2011

On Aug 10, 2011, at 5:37 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:

> On 08/09/2011 01:31 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>> Anyway, if you reject mail from IPv6 addresses without reverse DNS
>>> today, then you are guaranteed to reject legitimate mail.  One might
>>> even question the usefulness of reverse IPv6 DNS as a low score spam
>>> rule.  There are just too many matching legitimate sources.
>>
>> If one operates a legitimate mail server and is unable to provide any reverse
>> mapping for the v6 address I seriously do not care to not accept his email as
>> it's clearly not operated in a professional manner.
>
> It's unclear to me how you can so easily deem people as unprofessional
> (for a simple error),

I think we were long in the general discussion here.  I had politely pointed it
out to you in the initial reply, like I have for many in the past incl. some
very busy lists, ...  and I am sure like they you'll fix the oversight quickly and
the world will be good.

The fact that there are gazillions of others out there who do not care and still
run, constantly run, purposely run mail servers, run mail servers for tons of
users, who pay money for a relay service, etc. etc. etc. without the reverse
mapping is simply unprofessional.

/bz

         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.