Static vs SLAAC - Static expected to be preferred?

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Thu Apr 28 23:49:08 CEST 2011

Ok, once more:

I've just checked.  Disabling Autoconf can be done with

Debian Sarge:
  In /etc/sysctl.conf
    net.ipv6.conf.{default|all|<ifname>}.accept_ra=0
      disables all autoconfiguration
    net.ipv6.conf.default.autoconf=0
      disables address autoconfiguration but not default router
      cconfiguration

FreeBSD 6.1:
  In /etc/sysctl.conf
    net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=0
      disables all autoconfiguration; no way to get default routes
      only.

Solaris 10:
  In /etc/inet/ndpd.conf
    if{default| <ifname} StatelessAddrConf off
      disables address configuration; no documented way to prevent
      default router configuration.

Note however that these are from around 2005 or 2006, so details may
have changed.

Mark Smith <nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> writes:

> Servers (or rather all end-hosts) usually do SLAAC by default. So
> you'd have to deconfigure/disable SLAAC (which may not be a trivial
> task) as well as configure a static address.

Now at least from the implementations I've taken a look at, preventing
autoconfiguration may not be "trivial", but reworking RFC 3484 and
making everybody implement a changed algorithm isn't either.  And at
least with standard Unixen there's also a last resort to drop router
advertisements from within a local packet filter setup.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6